Monday, 28 February 2011

A Unique Unity

I didn't grow up in a Christian family, so God was never first in their lives, but my parents were married for 45 yrs before Dad died. Don't get me wrong, God is VERY important!!!! But Christian homes are wrecked by divorce at almost the same rate as non-Christian... there's more in the element of staying together when non-Christians are able to succeed at marriage too.

That element is commitment, and even ungodly people are able to make lifelong commitments to one another. The hindrance to commitment is selfishness, when people become selfish they cease to be self-giving and marriage takes a lot of self-giving.

Marriage is not based on the needs and desires of one, marriage is a process of blending the hearts of two into the desire of us - a unique unity of us as one. Divorce is the result of the process of self-thinking, instead of us-thinking.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your desireto impart "older sister" wisdom. I agree with you that non-Christians are able to make commitments-long-term. We especially see this in the previous generation and earlier.

    I would add too that it is self-thinking instead of God-thinking.
    I diagree that divorce affects "christian" homes. I know that in the evangelical church buildings there is divorce,but a True Christ ian will not be the one to sin and keep on sinning by divorce. If he/she does Jesus own words let us know that one is decieved and we should not have fellowship with that one as we would a true believer.

    Although there are many issues facing Mennonites and Amish, so far, I am thankful that divorce is not in "the church". Most adults within the Amish and Mennonite church have never known a person who is divorced within the community. I think community really helps as well.
    ~ Blessings!

    ReplyDelete