Friday, 15 April 2011

Lunch with Juliet and Her Family

It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon and Juliet had invited us to have lunch with her and her family.

The Nzyuko Family have been members of our church since 1998 (shortly after we arrived in Kenya) and through the years our friendship together has grown.

Peter, her husband, was unexpectedly put out of work when the company he worked for ceased to exist when the Twin Towers in New York were destroyed by terrorists on 9-11 (2001). I don’t know how his job in Kenya was tied to the Twin Towers, but it was. The family was then desperate to quickly find another source of income and Juliet asked me for work. With Juliet’s coming to work for me, our friendship deepened and the Lord knit our hearts together in a special way. We have shared sorrows and joys, culture differences and food...
...oh my goodness... Juliet loves American potato salad!!! I don't think I have ever seen a person enjoy potato salad like Juliet does... I have seen her eat a dinner plate full of potato salad and still hope there was more for later.
But this Sunday was a day to enjoy lunch and fellowship with the Nyzuko Family.


Add caption
Sunday lunch with Juliet and her family was a wonderful day. I tried to help Juliet in her kitchen but the room was so small that one person could stand in the same spot and reach the sink and the hot plate all with a slight turn to the left or right. We laughed together at how small the room was and how I should go outside and reach my arms through the window to help her with the dishes. 





Our meal was delicious and included my favorite food , sukuma wiki, we also had mixed beans, and rice. In the U.S., we would know sukuma wiki as kale and here in Kenya it is fried with onions and tomatoes.




Peter and Juliet have three children, Victor, Vannessa, and Vincent and the other day, I received this text message on my phone written just like this:
HIMRS.COLEYIKNOWTHYOUDONOTKNOWMELETMEINTRODUCEMYSELF.IAMTHEONEANDONLYVANNESSATHEDAUGHTEROFJULIETIMISSYOUANDP.COLEY3-4-2011
Now, if you’re having as much trouble as I had in deciphering that message, let me help you:
Hi Mrs. Coley I know that you do not know me let me introduce myself. I am the one and only Vannessa the daughter of Julie I miss you and Pastor Coley. 3rd April 2011




Having fun with the camera.   
This is Victor, his is now 15 and is away at boarding school most of the time.
Vannessa and Vincent.



Vincent, the baby of the family, may be quiet with words but he’s not quiet with actions and keeps his momma busy as she tries to anticipate his next move.


We love this family and we are so thankful for their Godly testimony.


2 comments:

  1. I would love it if you woulkd share some of your favcorite recipes from Africa every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Missy. I'll have to figure out how to make another tab or section for things like recipes. I've seen it on other blogs, but I haven't figure it out yet.

    ReplyDelete